Saturday, December 27, 2014

Gluten-Free Kitchen Must Haves!



 Today, I had a dear friend of mine contact me and desperately needing advice on the gluten free lifestyle. She requested a list of Gluten Free items to pick up, soo it got me thinking about when we first had our son diagnosed with Celiac Disease earlier this year. How much of a frantic, anxiety filled state I was in. Having no idea what gluten really was or feeling like I had been unknowingly poisoning my child for God knows how long with sweet desserts and wheat grain bread..but it was organic! Oh, the horrors that were running through my mind! What had I done?!?!
Well, after the fear of, "What the heck can I feed my child who is already Type 1 diabetic?!" wore off... I got to work.
  I scoured the internet and as my eyes crossed nightly in a gluten-free abyss. I have since learned that you literally have to take it one recipe at a time. Over the course of this year and many trial and errors of having things turn out terrible, we have new family favorites and substitutes for old family recipes. We also live in the best time ever to have received this challenge. With almost every grocery store now providing more Gluten free options and its more accessible, this makes it alot easier than even 5 years ago.
My friends phone call inspired me to put together a master list of items for must-haves in your gluten-free kitchen! I know if I would've found this earlier this year, it would've saved me alot of time, stressful moments and money! I know if she is thinking of it, it has to be on other peoples minds as well! We are all here to help each other on this journey of health improvement the best we can! Hope this list helps make your gluten free days a little easier! I know Im probably missing some amazing must-haves, so pleeeaase leave your faves in the comments below! :)

Here's some of my GF kitchen must haves, as well as some healthy alternatives :
  • coconut flour
  • Almond flour (best deal at costco)
  • GF Baking flour (Red Mills is a great brand)
  • Quinoa
  • Rice (brown, jasmine, white or wild)
  • Corn or rice pasta (trader joes has the cheapest and best)
  • Xantham gum (baking aisle)
  • Quick rising yeast packets (for homemade pizza dough)
  • Corn Flakes (to crush up and use as breadcrumbs for recipes, also fried chicken, etc.)
  • Organic Gluten Free Old-fashioned Oats- (can blend and make oat flour)
  • Coconut Oil ( A must, I use this in everything!)
  • Maseca (Instant Corn Flour)
  • UDI's Gluten Free Bread, bagels, pizza and muffins
  • Rudi's Gluten Free Bread (GF bread products are usally found in the freezer aisles, just fyi)
  • Gluten Free Beer- Apple Ciders usually - A must, of course!
  • Gluten Free Taco Seasoning ( yes, some seasonings have gluten in them..ugh!)
  • Potatoes of any kind

GF Cereals:
  • Corn Flakes
  • Post Pebbles- Cocoa or fruity
  • Chex
  • Kix
  • Rice Crispies
  • Natures Path cereals (our favorite is panda puffs and koala crisp)
  • Trader Joes and Costco have a great selection of really yummy GF cereals!

Sugar alternatives: ( All can be a replacement for white sugar)
  • Applesauce- no sugar added (great for baked products if you want them extra moist!)
  • Truvia
  • Local honey (also great to combat allergies!)
  • Real Maple Syrup
  • Agave Sweetener
  • Almond Butter
  • Dark Chocolate Chips


 Also, my sons special dietary needs has inspired me to grow in my knowledge of health & nutrition and I've since become a Health & Wellness Coach for a nutritional company called Isagenix. It provides organic, gluten free, Non-GMO nutrition, which has been a huge help for our family! Especially great for optimal nutrition for busy lifestyles! My kids love it and I know they are getting the best nutrition possible!
For more info check out my webinar below, as well as a great article for reasons why I chose Isagenix for our family, over many other nutritional companies.

You can contact me at: angeygrotberg@yahoo.com
Find me on Instagram: gluten_free_fit_momma
www.angeygrotberg.isagenix.com
Isagenix For Healthy Parents & Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsThjaIYyyU
9 Reasons I chose Isagenix (From an RN, certified Health and nutrition coach & Yoga instructor) http://thewellnurse.net/2014/12/9-reasons-chose-isagenix/




No comments:

Post a Comment